Oriza was founded by the famous royal perfumer Jean-Louis Fargeon in 1720. The name of the house originates from Oryza Sativa, the latin name for rice, which was part of the ingredients for rice powder, make-up and wigs. Maison Oriza was the official supplier for King Louis XV of France and Fargeon was Queen Marie-Antoinette’s perfumer. Since the beginning, the House received the royal warrant as the official supplier of toiletries and fragrance of the Royal Courts of France, Italy, England and The Imperial Courts of Napoléon III and Russia.
In 1811, Louis Legrand took over the house as he understood its potential prestige. With its fragrant creations, he developed it to its full extent. Legrand led Oriza to its fame and set his boutique on the famous rue Saint Honoré in Paris. He created the most refined, the most exquisite and the most complex products. Legrand was a true fragrance artist. Some time later Antonin Raynaud joined the house as an associate. Legrand then sold him the house, and he renamed it Oriza L. Legrand as a tribute to its first two owners and the story of the famous house of perfumes. In 1887 the company Oriza L. Legrand patented and produced the world’s first solid perfume (Essence Oriza Solidifiée). The entire manufacturing process, from the distillation and maceration of perfume ingredients to labeling, from soap making to grinding rice for powder, was concentrated in the factory of Levallois-Perret. Oriza L. The house was also one of the firsts to turn its fragrances into full product lines. For most of its perfumes, Oriza L. Legrand had a perfume, a powder, make-up, and soaps.
The factory employed over 200 staff at the end of the 1800s. It ran at full capacity and Raynaud put his financial means at the service of the house. He turned to Baccarat, who created bottles for prestigious editions. Faubourg Saint Honoré set up two shops on 9 boulevard de la Madeleine and on 11 Place de la Madeleine, where Baccarat currently stands. this provides an indication of how important the house had become by then. Company Oriza L. Legrand successfully participated in international exhibitions and has been regularly awarded prizes, from the bronze medal at the Universal Exhibition in Paris (1867) to the Grand Prix in 1900. At the turn of the 20th century, 90% of the production went abroad.
Today Oriza L. Legrand is still made in France and works with small companies all over the country. Raw materials of the highest quality are still used and the apothecary’s artisanal processes followed.